Central Directorate of Quality, Internal Auditing and Training
About the Hospital
Quality improvement (QI) is an integral part of the reform model in Egypt. While the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) have made significant strides in the past few years in the development of a QI program; university healthcare facilities still face significant challenges in improving the quality of services and in building its capacity in this area. Clinical practices do not meet national standards, external (patient) and internal client (provider) satisfaction is low, and resources are used inefficiently. To this end, QI became one of the main objectives of the health and education reform program. In fact, improving the quality of healthcare is the basis for the new reform model in both education and healthcare.
Mission and Vision
Healthcare Quality and Accreditation Unit (HCQU) drives and facilitates improvement in performance, strategic planning and quality management of healthcare services at Alexandria University Hospitals as well as other healthcare facilities
Healthcare Quality and Accreditation Unit (HCQU) aspires to provide health systems – strengthening approach that improves the quality and safety of health care services and facilities in Alexandria University Hospitals and leads healthcare delivery through innovation of a portfolio of health system planning and improvement services to support other healthcare facilities.
This involves two broad roles:
- being ambassadors for sound healthcare planning and quality management throughout the Alexandria University Hospitals’ community,
- being innovators of frameworks, training, processes and information to other healthcare communities
Also, this involves four essential components:
- Improving health, managerial, educational, marketing and social aspects of healthcare services to suite community needs.
- Enlarging capability and efficiency of available resources of healthcare facilities.
- Providing planning, training, support and improvement services to enhance professional healthcare practice, to serve the community at large and to enable postgraduate medical students to reach their full personal and career potential in healthcare.
- Promoting learning and pursuit of quality healthcare practice to contribute to the advancement and integration of knowledge, professional skills and technology, and their intelligent, sustainable and enterprising application for the benefit of humanity.
What happened over 11 months lifetime of Healthcare Quality Unit of Alexandria University Hospitals
- 25 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospitals have got AUC diploma of Total Quality Management of Healthcare Reform.
- 65 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital are on a Hospital-based Training Program of Certified Professional in Quality of Healthcare (CPHQ).
- 50 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital have obtained Training of Trainers (TOT) program (basic and advanced).
- 7 University Hospitals are on the way of accreditation.
- 430 First of their kind University Hospital Policies and Procedures.
- 123 First of their kind Evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines to be thought for as a foundation for national evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Second Middle East, Arab and African Country member (HCQAU) to join the Guideline International Network (G.I.N) after Sudanese Evidence based Medicine Association .
- 336 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital have got awareness program on quality of healthcare .
In the next phase professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital are attending awareness training program; 50 professionals perhospitals all through ( Alex. University Children’s Hospital – Shatby Maternity Hospital – El-Hadara University Hospital – New university Hospital – NICU Shatby Maternity Hospital – Main University Hospital – Alex. University Students’ Hospital.
- 188 training workshops have been implemented in one and the same place .
- 75 Alexandria Faculty of Medicine Staff Members have been trained on Evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines .
- 20 medical student in AUFM, were trained on EBCPGs in collaboration with Alexandria Scientific Students’ Association (ASSA) .
- 173 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital participated in writing policies & procedures .
- 50 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital were trained on how to write policies & procedures in collaboration with healthcare quality directorate in Ministery of Health.
- 40 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital were trained on how to write policies & procedures in collaboration with Quality Associates Inc. USA.
- 34 professionals of different healthcare disciplines in Alexandria University Hospital were trained on how to write policies & procedures in collaboration with Prof.Dr.Tarek Omar
- 39 House Officers have participated in the Quality Awareness Program, in addition current training of the top 200 House Officers in preparing for improving the quality of healthcare services .
- 7 locally accustomed disaster plans for Swine Flu Pandemic ready to be applied .
- Nearly one million Egyptian pounds have been spent for training and capacity building of the employees of University Hospitals and the Faculty Staff. The real investment is investing in people.
Name: Central Administration of the quality and internal control and training
Address: Faculty of Medicine – the new educational building – the ninth round