History

History

The Faculty of Medicine of [Alexandria University] was established following the Royal decree No. 32 pronounced in August 1942 by King Farouk the first. Teaching started in the academic year of 1942/1943. The establishment of the Faculty was the culmination of the efforts of many Alexandrian scholars and physicians headed by Mi Ibrahim Pacha (Professor of Surgery, born in Alexandria) and Dr. Mohamed Mahfouz Bey (a famous Alexandrian ophthalmologist and head of the Alexandria Eye Hospital). The pre-clinical teaching took place on the premises of the Abbaseya Secondary School, while the clinical teaching took place in the Municipal (Amireya) Hospital the largest hospital in Alexandria built by Khedive Ismail in 1876. A new hospital was subsequently established to house all the clinical departments of the Faculty. Four new buildings were also added with four large amphitheatres to house the academic departments.

Location

The Faculty of Medicine is located in Al-Azarita area in Midan Al-Khartom, Alexandria, Egypt.