- The Microbiology & Immunology Department was founded almost 70 years ago and has gone by a number of names since that time, each reflecting a particular stage in the evolution of medicine and the life sciences. Our current name was granted by the University when the Department made a major push to expand its focus into different branches.
- The fields of Microbiology and Immunology encompass many aspects of human health and a goal of our research is to further the basic understanding of microbes and the immune system, as well as translate this knowledge into improvement of human health. Therefore, our educational curriculum provides the opportunity to learn about fundamental mechanisms of microbiology and immunology, as well as the clinical aspects of these disciplines.
- The Microbiology and Immunology Department is one of ten basic science teaching and research departments at Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria. The Department is a community of over 50 individuals, all of whom share a common passion for research and learning. All Microbiology and Immunology faculty members participate in either the educational field or in the diagnostic and research field and many participate in both.
- Our Department participates actively in the teaching programs during the second and third years of medical school. The department is responsible for teaching bacteriology, immunology, virology, mycology, and infection control courses to undergraduate and postgraduate students in the national and international teaching programs.
- Research in the department focuses on areas related to infectious diseases, immunology, and surveillance of hospital and community acquired infections. The research laboratories of the Department are located within Main University Hospital campus.
- Diagnostic microbiology laboratory services regarding diagnosis of infectious diseases and surveillance of infections are provided by the staff members through our core facility labs to all university hospitals.
- The Department supports infection prevention and control programs through infection prevention and control Unit to promote patient safety by reducing the risk of acquiring and transmitting infections.
- The staff of the Department of Microbiology is active in several departmental, collegiate and University committees. Many of the faculty members also serve on committees at the national and international levels, on industrial advisory boards and editorial boards. The success of the faculty is a tribute to the collegial atmosphere which predominates within the department.
Our Mailing Address:
Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
Faculty of Medicine,
University of Alexandria, Egypt.
E-Mail Address: Micro-Immunology@alexmed.edu.eg