About the department
The Department of Anatomy & Embryology teaches Gross Anatomy of the human body, Neuroanatomy, and Embryology to medical students. Our objective is to facilitate understanding of the basic anatomical structure of the human body and its clinical application to prepare students for the subsequent clinical years of study.
Lectures, dissection classes, and integrated learning assessment (ILA) are included in teaching. During the dissection sessions, the students get an actual opportunity to dissect and observe different regions. ILA and assignment sessions help the students to actively participate in the Teaching/Learning activities. Plastic models and dissection videos help students to develop three-dimensional concepts of the subject.
Prof. Dr. Maha Diaa Safwat
Head of Anatomy & Embryology Department
Required Texts and Resources:
- Richard: Grays Anatomy for students. Churchill livingstone, Philadelphia.
- Snell, Richard: Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students. Little Brown and Co., Baltimore.
- Romanes, G.J.: Cunningham’s Manual of Practical Anatomy, Vol. 1, 2 and 3. Oxford Medical Publications.
Sadler, T.W.: Langman’s, Medical Embryology Willliams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore.
Head of Anatomy & Embryology Department:
Prof. Dr. Maha Diaa Safwat
Professors (Ranked by Seniority):
Prof. Dr. Nader Mohamed Afifi El-Nemr (abroad)
Prof. Dr. El-Seyad Soliman El-Seyad Attallah (abroad)
Prof. Dr. Ramdan Mahmoud Ramadan El-Gharabawy (abroad)
Prof. Dr. Amal Abd El Monsef Abou El Magd
Prof. Dr. Fathia Ahmed Mohamed Abd El-Hamid (abroad)
Prof. Dr. Eman Mohamed Ahmed Abd El-Megeed (abroad)
Prof. Dr. Amany Mahmoud Ali El-Agawany
Prof. Dr. Tarek Mohamed Mohamed Eissa (abroad)
Retired Prof. Dr. Farial Fathy Ibrahim Hassan
Retired Prof. Dr. Fardous Ahmed Khamis El-Sayed El-Kalaa
Retired Prof. Dr. Hoda Yousef Saleeb
Retired Prof. Dr. Fouad Sabry Ali Hekal
Retired Prof. Dr. Ahmed Abd El-Kader Soliman Geneid
Retired Prof. Dr. Gamila Mohamed Hafez El-Medany
Retired Prof. Dr. Aliaa Esmael Mohamed Awwad
Retired Prof. Dr. Salwa Sayed Hussin El-Sabea
Retired Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Mohamed El-Sayed Ibrahim (abroad)
Retired Prof. Dr. Wageh Gamal El-Din Abd El-Ghany Barraney (abroad)
Retired Prof. Dr. Saad Saad Mahmoud Hassouna (abroad)
Retired Prof. Dr. Saied Ahmed Mahmoud Zaghloul (abroad)
Assistant Prof. Dr. Zeinab Mokhtar Mohamed Soliman (abroad)
Assistant Prof. Dr. Azza Ibrahim Mohamed Zaki (abroad)
Assistant Prof. Dr. Abd El-Ghany Hassan Abd El-Ghany Hassan(abroad)
Assistant Prof. Dr. Madiha Awwad El-Sayed Mahmoud
Assistant Prof. Dr. Ehab Mostafa Mohamed El-Zawawy
Assistant Prof. Dr. Rasha Mohamed Mohamed Sallam El-Shenity
Retired Assistant Prof. Dr. Raid Mahmoud Hamdy Mansour Amer (abroad)
Dr. Mostafa Kandil Mohamed Soliman(abroad)
Dr. Alaa Hamed Bassiony Mohamed (abroad)
Dr. Sahar Abd El-Hafiz Shehata(abroad)
Dr. Rasha Rabee Abd El-Hamid Sallam
Dr. Melad Naeem Bashry Eskander
Dr. Nesrin Mostafa Hussin El-Hommosany
Dr. Mohamed Gamal Ayoub Rezk
Dr. Sally Mahmood Mohamed Hussin Omar
Dr. Hazem Gamal Ayoub
Dr. Aly Mohamed Hassan Elkaffass
Dr. Marwa Mahmoud Mady
Dr. Rania Ali shams Eldin
Dr. Rana Ahmed Abouelrous
Dr. Atef Nazmy Boules
Dr. Dalia Ahmed Esmat Abdelhamid Hassan
Dr. Aliaa Tawfik Elalkamy
Dr. Rasha Mohamed Mohamed Eldokmak
Dr. Rasha Ibrahim Amer Ali
Dr. Amira Gaber Hussein Ibrahim
Dr. Lobna Mohamed Mohamed Ali
Dr. Mennatu-Allah Abdelfattah Saqr
Dr. Basma Abdelmoneim Mohamed Mady
Dr. Ola Abdelsamie Mohamed Khalil
Dr. Ahmed Elsaeed Ayad
Dr. Mona Abdelfattah Mokhtar Barkat
Dr. Badria Hassan Saad Mohamed Hefny
Dr. Alaa Tharwat Abdelmohsen Mohamed
Dr. Dalia Essameldin Eid
Dr. Ahmed Elsayed Ibrahim Zeid
Dr. Habiba Ahmed Tawfik Mahmoud Elshennawy
- Median nerve motor entry points in the forearm and its clinical application.
Eur. J. Anat. 20 (1): 1-17 (2016)
Ehab M. El Zawawy , Nancy M. El Sekily , Wael A. Fouad , Mohamed H. Emam , Marwa M. Hassan
- The Prevalence of Sleep Problems and its Impact on Sleep Quality and Academic Performance.
Merit Research Journal of Education and Review 3(2): 126-131, February, 2015
Gwiria M.H. Satti, Hanan F. Alsaaid, Nihal M. Nabil, Abdullah A. Saeed,
Nasir AlHamdan and Nahid K. El-bakri
- Arterial Supply of Sciatic Nerve and Its Impact on Clinical Practice.
International Journal of Clinical and Developmental Anatomy 2015; 1(3): 79-84.
El Sayed Aly Mohamed Metwally , Nancy Mohamed Aly El-Sekily , Naguib Abd El Karim Ramadan
- Medical students’ perception on anatomy knowledge relevance and retention during clerkship. J Contemp Med Edu. 2(3): 147-151. 2014
Nihal Mohamed Nabil, Najwa Al-Mously, Shahad AlWathnani, Asrar Abduldaiem, Hadeel Al-Issa.
- Career choice and its influencing factors: Perception of senior medical students.
Lamyaa Z. AbouZaid, Nihal M. Nabil, Sara O. Al-Fadil, Abdulaziz Alatmi, Abdullah A. Saeed.
6. Undergraduate medical students’ perceptions on the quality of feedback received during clinical rotations. Med Teach. 36 Suppl 1:17-23. April 2014
7. Academic and socio-demographic factors influencing students’ performance in a new Saudi medical school. Med Teach. 35 Suppl 1: 83-89. April 2013
- Comparison of scalar location and insertion depth of cochlear implant electrode implanted through the round window versus cochleostomy approach.
J Int Adv otol . 9 (1): 32-39, 2013.
Seddik Abdel Salam, Shawky Tayel, Ahmed mehanna, Mohamed eid, Walid Farouk
- Serum levels of adrenomedullin and inflammatory cytokines in women with
term idiopathic intrauterine growth restriction. Journal of Obstetrics and
Gynaecology, 33: 135–139. February 2013
Elfayomy A. K., Habib F. A., Almasry S. M., Safwat M. D., Eldomiaty M. A.
- Impact of Introducing a Diagnostic Scheme to Medical Students in a Problem Based Learning Curriculum. Sci.Educ. 23(1): 16- 26. January 2013.
Nihal M. Nabil, Aida A. Guemei, Hanan F. Alsaaid, Raneem Salem, Lamiaa Z. Abuzaid, Dalia Abdulhalim, Magdy Albarbary, Abdulaziz F. Al-Kaabba
- Pectoralis major muscle: anatomical features of its arterial supply.
Eur J Plast Surg 35: 9-18. 2012
Eman Elazab Beheiry, Nihal Mohamed Nabil.
- Structural analysis of human placental stem and terminal villi from normal and idiopathic growth restricted pregnancies.
Journal of Molecular Histology, March 2012.
Shaima M. Almasry, Magda A. Eldomiaty, Amr K. Elfayomy, Fawzia A. Habib, Maha D. Safwat
- Innervation of the pectoralis major muscle: anatomical study.
Ann plast Surg 68(2): 209-214, February 2012
Eman Elazab Beheiry
- Student feedback on OSPE: An experience of Medical School in Saudi Arabia
Med.Sci.Educ. 22 (1): 10-16. (2012).
Najwa Al-MouslyEmail author, Nihal Mohamed Nabil, Raneem Salem
- The effect of monosodium glutamate on the cerebellar cortex of male albino rats and the protective role of vitamin C (histological and immunohistochemical study).
Journal of Molecular Histology 1 (1); Dec 2011.
Hala E. Hashem, M. D. El-Din Safwat , Sami Algaidi.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) in Alexandria, Egypt: A high prevalence justifying the need for a community-based newborn screening program.
J Tropical Pediatrics 57 (3): 232-234, 2011.
- M. Tayel, H. Ismael, H. Kandil, A. Abd Rabuh, H. Sallam
- Index to ring digit ratio in Saudi Arabia at Almadinah Almonawarah province: a direct and indirect measurement study.
Journal of Anatomy 218(2); 202– 8, Feb 2011.
Shaima M. Almasry, Magda A. El Domiaty, Sami A. Algaidi, Yasser M. Elbastawisy and Maha D. Safwat.
- Immunohistochemical expression of oestrogen and progesterone receptors during experimental acute and chronic murine Schistosomiasis mansoni. Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical 43(5); 531-535, Sep-Oct 2010.
Fawzia Ahmed Habib1, Mayssa Mohamed Zaki, Amany Ahmed Abd El-Aal,
Maha Dia Eldean Safwat, Magda Ahmed El Domiaty
- Ultrastructural and ultrahistochemical studies on rat hepatocytes under the effect of lead acetate administration. Journal of life sciences 31; 6 (4), 21-28, Oct 2010.
Awatef Mohamed Ali, Wafaa Abdel-Rhaman Ahmad and Mona Abdel-Hamed Yehia
- Morphological patterns of lip prints in Saudi Arabia at Almadinah Almonawarah province. Forensic Science International 200 (1-3); 179, Jul 2010.
Magda Ahmed El Domiaty, Sami Awda Al-gaidi, Ahmed Abdelmoneim Elayat,
Maha Diaa Eldein Safwat, Sherief Ahmed Galal.
- A–V nodal artery anatomy and relations to the posterior septal space and its contents.
Int J Cardiol. 2010 May 14; 141(1):92-98.
Shirley H. El-Maasarany, Eman E.B. Elazab, Steen Jensen, Michael Y. Henein.
22. Mode of insertion of the abductor hallucis muscle in human feet and its arterial supply. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 69(1): 54-61, Feb 2010.
- Awareness and Knowledge of Breast Cancer Among University Students in Al Madina Al Munawara Region. Middle East Journal of Cancer 1(4); 159- 66, 2010.
Fawzia Habib, Shaista Salman, Maha Safwat, Sherien Shalaby.
24. An anatomical study of the arterial and nerve supply of the infrahyoid muscles.
Folia Morphol (Warsz). 68(4):233-43, Nov 2009.
- Morphometric and immunohistochemical study of angiogenic marker
expressions in invasive ductal carcinomas of the human breast.
Folia Morphologica 68 (3); 144- 55, 2009.
Safwat M.D., Habib F., Elayat A., Oweiss N., Reffat S., Algaidi S.
- Distribution of macrophages in the human fallopian tubes. An immunohistochemical & electron microscopic study. Folia morphologica 67 (1); 43-52, Feb 2008.
Safwat M.D., Habib F.A., Oweiss N.A.
27. Images in clinical medicine congenital neural malformations related to their embryological background. Int J Health Sci (Qassim). 2008 Jan; 2(1):119-24.
- The zygomatico-orbital artery. Reply letter
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 120(5):1432. Oct.2007 (USA)
Eman Elazab Beheiry.
29. Primary male infertility in Kuwait: a cytogenetic and molecular study of 289 infertile Kuwaiti patients. Andrologia; 39(3): 87-92, 2007 Jun.
- Distribution of terminal nerve entry points to the forearm muscles: An Anatomical study. Folia morphologica 66 (2); 1- 11, May 2007.
Safwat M.D., Abd El-Megid E.
- An anatomical study of the temporal fascia and related temporal pads of fat
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 119(1) Jan: 136-144. 2007 (USA)
Eman Elazab Beheiry, Fatheia A. Abdelhamid.
- The arterial supply of the temporalis muscle.
Surgical and Radiological Anatomy 28(3): 241-247. 2006 (France)
Eman Elazab Beheiry, Fatheia A. Abdelhamid.
- The coronary sinus conduit function: anatomical study (relationship to adjacent structures). Europace 7(5): 475-481, 2005 Sep.
El-Maasarany S, Ferrett CG, Firth A, Sheppard M, Henein MY.
34. Sex identification of normal persons and sex reverse cases from bloodstains using FISH and PCR. J Clin Forensic Med. 2005 Jun; 12(3):122-127. Epub 2005 Mar 16.
35. A morpho-etiological description of congenital limb anomalies.
Ann Saudi Med. 25(3): 219-227, 2005 May-Jun.
- Anatomical variations of the median nerve distribution and communication in the arm. Folia Morphologica 63(3): 313- 318. 2004 (Poland)
Eman Elazab Beheiry.
37. Developmental toxicity of acephate by gavage in mice.
Reprod Toxicol. 14(3):241-5, 2000 May-Jun.
- Profile of chromosomal abnormalities in Al Jahra region of Kuwait.
J Med Princ Pract; 8(3): 167-172, 1999.
RL Al-Naggar, SA Mady, SM Tayel, TI Farag, SA Al-Awadi, MM Al-Ghanim,
SJ Abulhasan, MA Sabry, L Bastaki
- Clustering of trisomy 18 in Kuwait: Genetic predisposition or environmental?
Ann Saudi Med. 19(3):197-200, 1999 May-Jun.
- Trisomy 18 in Kuwait. Int J Epidemiol (England); 28 (4): 711-716, 1999.
KK Naguib, SA Al-Awadi, MAA Moussa, L Bastaki, S Gouda, MA Redha,
F Mustafa, SM Tayel, SJ Abulhasan, DS Krishna Murth
- Mosaic Turner syndrome: Cytogenetics versus FISH.
Ann Hum Genet; 63: 199-206, 1999.
SJ Abulhasan, SM Tayel, SA Al-Awadi
- Familial pericentric inversion of chromosome 1(p36.3 q23) and Bardet-Biedl syndrome. J Med Genet 36: 418-419, 1999.
SM Tayel , RL El-Naggar, DS Krishna Murthy, KK Naguib, SA Al- Awadi,
43. Triophthalmia and facial clefting: a case report. J Med Genet 35: 875-877, 1998.
44. Mapping of the spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) gene to a 750-kb interval flanked by two new microsatellites. Eur J Hum Genet. 3(1):56-60, 1995.
- Immunocytochemical localization and enzymatic distribution of rat ovarian aromatase. Biol Reprod. 44(3):550-560, Mar 1991.
El-Maasarany S, Brandt ME, Majercik MH, Zimniski SJ, Puett D.
- Anatomical basis of latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flap: clinical applications.
Surgical and Radiological Anatomy 11(3): 197-203. 1989 (France)
- A case of de novo trisomy 12p syndrome. Clin Genet 35: 382-386, 1989.
Tayel S, Kurczynski TW, McCorquodale MM
48. Deletion 9p, duplication 18q in two sisters resulting from a maternal (9;18) (p22;q21.3) translocation. Am J Med Genet. 31(4):853-61, 1988 Dec.
Tayel S, Kurczynski TW, Casperson S, McCorquodale MM
- Prenatal detection of a de novo 1; 15 translocation with the same breakpoints as that identified in a previous unrelated case report.
Prenatal Diagnosis 8(6): 475-476, 1988.
McCorquodale MM, Tayel S
Programs and Courses offered
Master Degree in: Surgery, Medicine, Cardiology, Anaesthesia, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Critical care, Obstetrics and Gynecology ….etc.
PHD in: Neurosurgery and Cardiology …etc.
– First year Medical.
– Second year Medical.
– First year Dentistry.
– First year Pharmacy.
– First year Nursing.
Honors and Awards
– Fund from the High Education Enhancement Project funds to establish a Museum in 2007.
Labs and Facilities
– Three dissecting rooms with 90 students capacity each.
– Dissected cadaveric specimens along the years.
– Plastinated cadaveric specimens and plastic models.
|Type of Activity||Description/Availability|
|1. Scientific||Scientific monthly meeting.|
|2.Post / Undergraduate||There will be assignment presentations for undergraduate students about various subjects of neuroanatomy for a period of 2 months starting on November 20th, 2010.·
There will be assignment presentations for postgraduate students in topics , each according to their specialities, for a period of 4 months starting on November 20th, 2010.
|3. Research||International publications in the last 10 years (recent first):|
|4. Social & Environmental||The anatomy staff members celebrate the birthday of the members who have their birthday in this month after each monthly department meeting.|
|5. Other: Conferences, workshops, attendance||In the current academic year;2010 (recent first):
1. OraL presentation entitled (ambiguous genitalia: diagnosis & management with special reference to parental consanguinity and age at diagnosis) will be presented by Prof. Dr. Shawky Tayel at The First International Conference of The Human Genetics and Genome Research Division & National Society of Human Genetics on 8-10th November, 2010.
Branches of the Department
– Human Anatomy
– Human Embryology
– Experimental Embryology
Coordinator: Assistant Prof. Eman Elazab Beheiry
Secretary of the Anatomy Department
Mrs. Nadia Mahmoud Mohamed